1 batch Perfect Pie Crust (makes 2 crusts)
6 cups fresh blueberries, divided
1 ¼ cups sugar, divided
2 tsp. Happy Home Natural Lemon Flavor
2 tsp. Happy Home Pure Vanilla Extract
½ cup all-purpose flour
½ tsp. cinnamon
½ tsp. kosher salt
2 tbsp. unsalted butter, cold
- Prepare the pie crusts according to recipe directions. Roll out 1 portion of dough and place in a 9 inch deep pie pan. Refrigerate until ready to use. Reserve another portion of dough for the lattice top.
- In a medium saucepan, combine 3 cups blueberries, ¾ cup sugar, Happy Home Natural Lemon Flavor, and Happy Home Pure Vanilla Extract. Heat over medium high heat stirring occasionally. Heat until all the sugar has dissolved, berries begin to burst, and mixture is bubbling about 5-8 minutes.
- In a small bowl combine flour, cinnamon, and salt. Pour flour mixture into hot blueberry mixture and stir to combine. Allow to cook for about 5 minutes until mixture has thickened, remove from heat.
- Transfer mixture to a heatproof bowl and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Once cool gently mix in the remaining 3 cups of blueberries and butter. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Using a chilled pie crust place blueberry filling into the bottom crust.
- Roll out the top crust to 12 inch diameter. Cut into ¾ inch strips. Carefully lay 4-7 strips of dough parallel on top of the filling with equal space between them. Fold back every other strip halfway. Place another strip perpendicular to the parallel strips. Unfold the parallel strips over the perpendicular strip. Repeat the weave pattern with remaining strips.
- Once the top crust is complete, pinch or fork press edges to seal, refrigerate the pie for about 30 minutes before baking.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F, place the oven rack in the lower third of the oven.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, until the filling is bubbling and the crust is golden brown.