2 ½ cups all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling
1 cup unsalted butter, very cold and cut into ½ inch cubes
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
6 to 8 tbsp ice water
- Combine flour, salt and sugar. Cut in butter until the mixture has pea sized pieces of butter.
- Add ice water 1 tbsp at a time until the mixture begins to clump together.
- Mound the dough onto a clean surface and shape into two disks. Lightly dust the disks with flour and wrap with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least an hour, or up to 2 days.
- Remove dough from the refrigerator and roll out with a rolling pin on a lightly floured surface. Roll until the disk is 12 inches wide and about an ⅛ of an inch thick.
- Place into a pie plate and fill or bake per your recipe. You can save the extra disk for another pie or use it for a top crust.