3 teaspoons kosher salt (soak chopped apples to prevent browning)
8 Fuji apples
1 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons Happy Home Pure Vanilla Extract
1 teaspoon Happy Home Almond Extract
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon nutmeg
Use store-bought pie crusts or our Perfect Pie Crust recipe.
- Fill a large bowl with 6 cups of cold water and stir in 3 teaspoons of kosher salt until dissolved. Peel and core apples and chop into 1-inch chunks. Place chopped apples into salt water to prevent browning.
- Drain and rinse all of the saltwater off of the apples pieces and then place them into a large saucepan. Add 1 cup of sugar and 1 teaspoon of the vanilla extract. Heat the apple mixture over medium heat until it begins to simmer.
- Stir and simmer the apples for about 8 minutes until the apples have softened. Remove the pan from the heat and allow the apple mixture to cool to room temperature.
Assemble the pie:
- Prepare a 9-inch pie dish and take one disk of dough from the fridge. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to about a 12-inch circle, ¼-inch thick. Have flour available if the dough sticks to the table.
- Use your rolling pin to help lift the crust into the pie plate. Press the dough into the bottom and up the sides, allowing a 1-inch overhang.
- Stir the remaining teaspoon of vanilla extract and the almond extract into the apple mixture. Spoon the apples into the pie crust and spread them to an even layer.
- Roll out the second dough disk on a lightly floured surface to 12 inches in diameter, ¼-inch thick. Lift the dough carefully to the top of the pie. Trim the edge to be just a little longer than the bottom edge, then roll the top edge underneath the bottom edge all around. (If it's too thick in a spot, trim it back a little.) Crimp the edge all around.
- Cut a few slashes into the top crust to vent the pie. Cover the top loosely with plastic wrap and refrigerate the pie for 30 minutes while the oven heats.
Bake that pie:
- Preheat the oven to 375° F. Place a metal baking sheet in the oven (large enough to hold the pie dish.)
- Place the chilled pie in the oven on the hot baking sheet and bake it for about 45 minutes: the top crust should be a light golden brown color.
- Remove the pie and place it on a cooling rack for at least 30 minutes. Slice it and serve, with fresh whipped cream, ice cream, or creme anglaise.