2 ½ cups bittersweet chocolate chips (do not exceed 61% cacao; 15 to 16 ounces)
divided 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour ¼ cup natural unsweetened cocoa powder 1 teaspoon baking powder 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder ½ teaspoon salt
½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon Happy Home® Imitation Vanilla Flavor
1 teaspoon Happy Home© Peppermint Extract
2 large eggs
4 candy canes or 16 red-and-white-striped hard peppermint candies, coarsely crushed
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Line 2 large rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Stir 2 cups chocolate chips in medium metal bowl set over saucepan of simmering water until melted and smooth.
- Measure ⅔ cup melted chocolate; transfer to small metal bowl and reserve for drizzling.
- Whisk flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, espresso powder, and salt in medium bowl. Using electric mixer, beat butter in large bowl until creamy.
- Add sugar and both extracts; beat until smooth. Add eggs; beat to blend. Beat in melted chocolate from medium bowl.
- Add dry ingredients; beat just to blend. Stir in remaining ½ cup chocolate chips. Measure 1 level tablespoon of dough; roll dough between palms to form ball. Place on prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough, spacing cookies 1½ inches apart.
- Bake cookies until cracked all over and tester inserted into center comes out with large moist crumbs attached, 8 to 9 minutes.
- Cool cookies on baking sheet 5 minutes.
- Transfer cookies on parchment paper to racks to cool completely.
- Rewarm reserved ⅔ cup chocolate over small saucepan of simmering water.
- Using fork, drizzle chocolate over cookies.
- Sprinkle crushed candy canes over, arranging some pieces with red parts showing. Chill just until chocolate sets, about 20 minutes.
- DO AHEAD Can be made 3 weeks ahead. Store airtight in freezer. Bring to room temperature before serving.